Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bee Keeping Class






I took a bee keeping class this morning through the city of Portland. We had a coupld of hours of classroom time where the teacher explained equipment and technique then we went to his house to see his set up. The teacher had a similar property size to ours. He keeps about 30 hives, we want to keep one or two. Enough to get honey for our family and share with friends. I took the class to get information. It costs close to $400 for all of the equipment we need to start, so we will take some time, get more information and save money. The honey bees are safe to have around and only sting if provoked. I would still prefer to wait until the boys are a bit older. I could see this as a good 4-H project for Liam when he is a bit older.

Here is a layout I did last night.
Credits: Mask - Jumbo Watermaks Set #1 by Hillary Heidelberg, Kit Pool Party by Lindsay Jane Designs

8 comments:

Unknown said...

How neat! I am scared of bees, though. The last time I got stung, my whole foot....even up to my chin swelled up and bruised. I thought I would die from the pain!

Unknown said...

wow, what an interesting way to spend your day! Im not a fan of honey, but i can imagine how fun and nice it would be to be growing?making? your own! good luck saving up and i hope you dont get stung!

Unknown said...

Not sure I could cope with the bees, but my daughter would love it.

Will be keen to follow your progress from a safe distance!

bentonflocke said...

we love honey... but I´m careful in dealing with the bees!!

Great you are interested in the bees!

Your layout and the extraction in it is wonderful

Erika said...

So exciting to take a course and get to see the hives close-up! It would be so fun to get fresh honey from the garden. Good luck with the preparations!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous shots of bees...and when I look at them I see the yummy honey ;)

listgirl said...

Bee keeping is so unsual... I've never heard of regular people doing it in their backyard. Can't wait to see how yours goes, when you get it!

Dana said...

we have some friends in your city who do bees too! we love honey and use it lots but no way no how could i do bee keeping! more power to you =)!!