Saturday, May 10, 2008

How we celebrated our annversery and a cookbook reveiw

Eleven years ago, when David and I said our marraige vows, I imagined life would take us down many roads and we we meet many new and interesting "people"
I don't know if expected to include these guys in our lives....


When I renewed our OPB (public radio) membership I got the Sesame Street live family ticket pack as my Thank you gift. How many cd's of amusing banter and compelling stories can one family have. This also goes with my whole anti-clutter theme. Memberships to places like the zoo and OMSI and going to events like this do not take up room in our house.
The boys loved it and our tickets were for great seats and if that was not enough, one of the ushers moved us even closer at the intermission. I am used to buying tickets in the nosebleed section, so it was great to be so close.
Liam wanted to escape and go to the stage to spend time with Cookie Monster. Christian loved the concert, but wanted to keep a safe distance.
Here is a picture of two of them in front of the stage.

Here is my layout I did for using Vintage Elegance by Doin it digi at Designs in Digital. She is the featured designer there for the Month of May

Here is my cookbook review for Fix, Freeze & Feast by Kati Neville and Lindsay Tkacsik. The author's of the cookbook were interviewed on Manic Mommies.
The idea behind this cookbook is to go to Coscto or Sam's Club and buy the items called for the recipe in bulk, like meat and cheese. Then you take it home and prepare 4 or 5 meals at one time. The first recipe I tried was Apple Cranberry Pork Loin. The pork loin from costco is HUGE. So since I had to cut it up to get it in the freezer anyhow, I just prepared this up. I cut up the tenderloin and distributed it in the freezer ziplock bags and then just added the rest of the ingredients. I prepared on in a baking dish to have for dinner that night as well.
I froze the rest. Last week, I signed up to take a meal to someone from church and all I had to do is grab it out the freezer and drive it over.
Here is the Apple and Cranberry Pork Loin pg 129
1 Pork Loin (about 8 lbs, don't use tied loin)
6 medium tart apples (about 8 cups)
2/3 cup apple jelly
3 cups diced onion
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3 tbsp cider vinegar
3 tsp dried mustard
3 one gallon freezer bags.
Rinse and trim loin. Cut pork in three equal roasts. Place one in each freezer bag.
2. Divide apple slices and apple jelly evenly over roasts. Into each bag masure 1 cup onion, 1/4 cup cranberries, 1 tbsp vinegar and 1 tsp mustard.
to complete
Thaw in refrigerator
preheat oven to 350
Place roast in center of ungreased baking dish, distributing apples and onions around meat. Bake uncovered until roast reads 160.

3 comments:

Jeannette said...

Oh, I think that's a cool way to spend an anniversary. Seriously, how many romantic candlelight dinners alone can one couple take......well, okay, never mind....but you get my point. lol

Never heard of that Fix It, Freeze It, etc. site. Definitely need to check it out. I'm all for simplifying. And that Manic Mommies? Haven't checked it out yet but I'm sure I'll find kindred spirits there. ha ha

Char said...

Ok, now I'm totally hungry!! The book sounds perfect for us. Thanks!

Creative Junkie said...

What a nice anniversary! My kids are older now, so we don't go to those shows anymore, but boy, I do remember those days! The recipe sounds great ... we don't have a Costco's here but we do have a Sam's Club and a BJ's Wholesale - I just need to get a bigger freezer before I buy in bulk! Have a great Mom's day tomorrow!
Andrea